My brother and I are obsessed with soft pretzels. There's pretty much nothing better than a warm, doughy and buttery pretzel (especially during the winter!), so I tried making my own on Christmas Eve when I was home with my family. They were absolutely delicious and while it was one of the more time-consuming recipes I've made, I promise they're worth the extra time. Since I swear by AllRecipes.com, I found a perfect recipe for buttery soft pretzels. You really have to eat them right when they're fresh out of the oven though because (unlike pizza), reheating them the next day just doesn't do it justice.
It's an easy recipe to use and experiment with other fun toppings too! Classic butter and salt were perfect, but I think cinnamon sugar, salt and drizzled honey, or parmesan and truffle salt would be amazing.
Buttery Soft Pretzels (via All Recipes):
- 4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 1/4 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 4 cups hot water
- 1/4 cup kosher salt, for topping
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, 1/2 cup sugar, and salt. Make a well in the center; add the oil and yeast mixture. Mix and form into a dough. If the mixture is dry, add one or two tablespoons of water. Knead the dough until smooth, about 7 to 8 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place (warmed oven is perfect) until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. In a large bowl, dissolve baking soda in hot water.
- When risen, turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a rope and twist into a pretzel shape. Once all of the dough is shaped, dip each pretzel into the baking soda solution (what makes it golden brown) and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 8 minutes, until browned.
- Brush melted butter on pretzels when out of the oven and sprinkle with kosher salt, cinnamon sugar or whatever topping you want!
- Wrap and find me immediately to taste.